Sunday, July 15, 2007

Day 1 - Abilene, TX - 349 Miles

Pulled out a day earlier than originally planned. The weather report for the Houston area for Saturday morning was rain in biblical proportions and the map reflected a huge bow-shaped front in my line of travel for the weekend. I figured if I left Friday morning I might be able to get closer to the front by early evening, let the rain fall while I slept, then creep behind it Saturday morning.

It worked! Good planning yields good results (at least that's what the planning gurus say). Managed to get packed, everything done and was on the road at 11:00am. Took 290 to Brenham and then 36 to Abilene. This is one of my favorite Texas rides. The rolling farm and ranch land west of I-35 is always a treat. I love the town of Hamilton; town square with an old pharmacy with a soda fountain. Got to Abilene about 6:00 pm, found a room and missed all the rain.

No comments: