Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Day 5 - Rexburg, ID - 81 Miles

As noted, plenty of free time today to make it over to Rexburg to meet friends. Talked to Bobby J last night and he's made reservations in West Yellowstone for tomorrow night. Even with the travel-trailer-bumper-to-travel-camper-bumper traffic in Yellowstone, the place is worth it. Superlatives just fail there. I'm sort of partial to Teton as well.



Right now I'm lazing in Jackson thinking about the sights and folks seen on the trip so far and contemplating one of Geiger's Little Laws, observations I've made over the years.


I have a cover for my bike and usually put it on at night; not to protect the bike, but to make it difficult for anyone to get into my bags, trunk, or tank bag. Additionally, it keeps the seat free of morning dew even if it doesn't rain. One of Geiger's Little Laws: Any procrastinated or put off action proves required. When parking last night there were about six or eight Harleys parked in the lot, none covered. Tired, dirty, and hot I debated about twenty nano-seconds and determined if the Harleys didn't need no stinkin' cover, I didn't need no stinkin' cover. Yep, you're right. Woke up to rain this morning. Fortunately, not much and not heavy, so, seated on a towel, the ride to breakfast wasn't too bad.

Among the folks I've seen on this trip the "old codgers" in the coffee shops stick to mind. I like to stop for a cup of coffee, regardless of the heat, at various times as I ride. And, in all these stops there's always at least a couple of old characters sitting over a cup of coffee discussing the heat, price of cattle, or, in one case, Jimmy Ray's broken ribs..."he's just too damned old to be out there pushing steers around like a youngster"..... All are dressed the same: heavily scuffed cowboy boots, faded jeans, and the ubiquitous checked cowboy shirt, usually in shades of blue or red, like bandannas, not states. All share the same weathered face with browned craggy, leather-like skin you could strike a kitchen match on...but I wouldn't advise it.

Under random acts of kindness file the old fellow working at the Wal*Mart in Sweetwater, TX. I have a mechanical throttle lock used to give the right hand/arm a break while traveling. I looked into a fully automatic, electric one like on cars, but at ~$800 installed decided my right arm wasn't worth that much. Anyway, it works fine except whenever it gets really hot in the late afternoon. The tolerances are evidently pretty tight and late in the day when the heat expands the metal the clamp doesn't fully engage. It takes the smallest Allen wrench made to adjust the thing and, naturally, I couldn't find one in my tool bag when I finally decided ENOUGH ALREADY and went to adjust it. So...I stop at the Wal*Mart in Sweetwater and look for an Allen wrench. It was a "Super-Store," meaning everything except for the highest margin product are super difficult to find, and after looking far longer than I wanted, I asked directions from this old fellow keeping the gun desk from floating away. He told me where I'd most likely find them but pointed out I'd have to buy a set. I told him I knew that, but really needed the damned thing. He then pulled what was obviously his own toolbox from below the counter, picked out a "set" of Allen wrenches, and asked would one of these do. Selecting the smallest I said, "Yep, this is it," and he gave it to me. Said he'd never used it in all the time he'd had them and I, obviously, needed one. He wouldn't let me pay him for it either. That's what I mean about good folks all over this country.

AND, for the Wal*Mart executive who might happen upon this blog and want to fire this guy for costing you a sale, I can promise you he made you more money. Keep hiring folks like this and I'll keep buying from you. Unlike many, I'm one of those people who believe Wal*Mart provides a lot of jobs to people who need them, and for the pay provided. They're there, aren't they? Like the child laborers in Bangladesh, if they had a better alternative they'd exercise it. Just a small economics lesson early in the morning from Jackson Hole, WY.

Anyway, got to go check out the rafters on the Snake River. I'll pick this up later in Rexburg.









Betsy-the-Kaw on the Snake River just south of Jackson, WY.







Found the rafters.


















I really like my new camera. When I went to Alaska I had a little Sony that would only go to 4x magnification. The camera worked great but I missed a lot of good pictures. I now use that camera for on-road shots (it's very small and hangs around my neck), but the big boy will go to 40x.










If the Man Laws were enforced the pretty ladies on this raft would look different.







Pulled out of Jackson about 12:00 noon on WY22 toward Victory.




















Man, is this an up and down. There are at least three or four 10 degree slope sections and the scenery is wonderful.






















Arrived in Rexburg around 2:00pm, tasked with getting us rooms for the evening. Once again, a friendly American story happened. Stopping at the first motel I saw, a Comfort Inn, I went merrily up to the desk and asked the lady on duty if she had any rooms available. She said no and that it might be difficult to find one as this is a peak season in the area and some special events were going on as well. Then the random act of kindness: she called four motels before she found one, Cottontree Inn, with two rooms available. I latched on to both immediately, with rather low expectations. Imagine my surprise upon checking in to find a very nice facility with well decorated and apportioned rooms. A hit!! And, once again, Blanche DuBois proves correct: "I've always relied on the kindness of strangers."

Bobby J and Zelda came tooling in around 6:00 and we are set to ride tomorrow: Henry's Lake, Henry's Fork of the Snake, Yellowstone. I'm ready.

Oh yeah, for the Idaho affectionados here's your bread and potatoes:

No comments: