Monday, July 16, 2007

Day 4 - Jackson, WY - 472 Miles

Another beautiful Colorado morning. The view from my motel across I-70 this morning.

(Click to enlarge)

Pulled out on I-70 to Rifle (what a great name for a Colorado town), taking Hwy13 north. Plans last night were to go to Flaming Gorge but as I was riding north on 13 I kept saying, "Yeah, but you've been there before." And I have, I used to fish B.A.S.S. Federation tournaments on that water so I know the place well. Plus, my route would take me to Rangely, again, familiar road; Bobby J and I rode Hwy139 to Grand Junction a couple of years ago. So...I changed the route.
I decided to stay on Hwy13 through Meeker, Hamilton, Craig, and into Baggs, WY.


Between Craig and Baggs I passed this old mine shaft. This picture doesn't quite get the point across because you can't see the rest of the mountain, but the shaft leading straight into the base of the mountain really caught my attention. I imagined it with workers going in and out, each with aspiration much like ours, a better life for themselves and their children. There's something sad about dead buildings and factories, and aspirations.



Five minutes later I round a corner and see a pasture with several horses, one with a new colt and I'm reminded that life keeps renewing itself so I can get off that crap and crank down on the throttle and move on into Wyoming. So I did.





Took I-80 down to Rock Springs and then Hwy191N to US189 at Hoback Junction. Twelve miles further north and I'm in Jackson (Hole) where a postage stamp room on the third floor (no elevator) goes for $178 night. But, it has a bed, an internet connection, and, thank God, a great shower. And, I guess, some sort of expensive ambiance. At least I think that's what you call it when your shampoo smells like apple cores.

I only have about 90 miles to go to get to Rexburg to Meet Bob and Zelda tomorrow so I'm going to laze around Jackson for awhile. I'll probably go out to the Snake (river) and watch the river-runners. One never knows what's going to happen down there. Last year Bobby J and I and a couple of his Harley boys stood on the side of the river encouraging the young ladies in the rafts. As I recall, we enacted several new Man Laws while there. I'll have to review those and let you know the status.

No comments: